Crisis Intervention Center
The Crisis Intervention Centre provides an alternative treatment plan when hospitalization is deemed unnecessary or inappropriate for individuals experiencing a psychiatric or psychological crisis in Region 1.
The goals are:
- To assist individuals in mental health crisis, resume community functioning.
- To prevent unnecessary hospitalization by offering alternative treatment plans.
The services offered are:
- Crisis Telephone Outreach Service: accessible to referral sources 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Crisis Intervention Service: face-to-face assessment and crisis intervention from 8am – 10pm.
- Crisis Outreach Service: providing services to the client by telephone from 5pm – 9am during the week. From 5pm on Friday to 9am on Monday and all day on statutory holidays where the crisis is occurring.
- Consultation Request: providing consultation service and crisis intervention to adult residential facilities.
- Crisis Residential Service: providing crisis intervention within the context of a voluntary residential setting (5 beds, 24 hour supervision) with a maximum length of stay of 7 days. The Crisis Intervention Centre will not accept individuals under the influence of alcohol or drugs. Potentially violent clients will only be accepted if the centre is able to secure double staffing.
- Organizing/dispatching transportation for those who require the need of a Sheriff from one facility to another (provincial level).
The Target Population is as follows:
For crisis residential service
Individuals, 16 and over with a serious mental illness who are in crisis and for whom 24 hour care in a hospital is unnecessary or inappropriate.
For other services
Adults, 16 and over with mental health problems who are in crisis and for whom 24 hour care in a hospital is unnecessary or inappropriate.
The referral sources within Region 1 are:
- Hospital emergency department
- Psychiatric units
- Psychiatrists in private practice
- Mental Health Centers
- General practitioners
- Mental health professionals
- Mobile Crisis Team
- Fact Team